Dosage is based on your dog's weight. Refer to the first table (How much do I give my dog?) to find your dog's recommended dosage.
- Start with the Loading Dose for the first 3 weeks. The Loading Dose is a system kickstarter so your dog can begin their journey with their best paw forward.
- Results are typically noticed after 3 weeks on the Loading Dose.
- After the Loading Dose, drop to the Maintenance Dose ongoing.
- Should your dog suffer from chronic inflammation, it is safe to administer the loading dose ongoing.
- If you are using Rose-Hip Vital® Canine as a preventative, there is no need to administer the loading dose.
A 2.5g level scoop included in each bottle/bucket.
- Mix Rose-Hip Vital® Canine powder in with your dog's food.
- Do not mix with hot food or hot liquid as this will undermine the effectiveness of the powder.
- If your dog eats twice a day, mix half the recommended dosage with the morning meal and the balance with the evening meal.
- If your dog only eats once a day, mix the full recommended dosage with the meal.
Tips and Tricks
For dogs weighing less than 7.5kg
One of the great things about Rose-Hip Vital® Canine is that there are no known side-effects or contraindications so there is no risk of overdosing. When it comes to Rose-Hip Vital® Canine the more the better!
However, with a dog weighing less than 7.5kg you can, in theory, halve the lowest dosage and see the same results. In this case, we would recommend 1 Scoop Daily as your Loading Dose and 1/2 Scoop Daily ongoing.
For dogs who are fussy eaters
If you already know your dog is a fussy eater, we suggest you gradually introduce Rose-Hip Vital® Canine. Start with a small pinch of powder and slowly increase to the recommended dose over time.
Other tips to get your fussy dog to eat Rose-Hip Vital® Canine include mixing it with wet food, mince, sardines, tuna, yoghurt, cottage cheese, milk, raw egg, butter or stock. Remember to avoid hot food or liquid.
For dogs with stomach sensitivity
While most dogs have no problem whoofing down their food mixed with a daily dose of Rose-Hip Vital® Canine, occasionally we hear of dogs who have a low tolerance or a sensitive stomach.
In this instance, slowly introduce our powder with just one or two pinches a day added to their usual meal, to gradually build up their tolerance. When you have reached their daily recommended dose, start counting their loading dose and consider this the start of the programme.
Can my dog take the Human Capsules instead of Powder?
Absolutely. All of our Rose-Hip Vital® products contain the exact same patented Rosehip powder.
3 human capsules = 2.5g of powder (835mg in each capsule).
So, if your dog weighing up to 15kg requires 2 scoops daily, that would be total 5g of powder. This equates to 6 human capsules daily. Similarly if your large dog > 30kg requires 6 scoops daily, that would be total 15g of powder which equates to 18 capsules daily (see table below)
1 bottle of Rose-Hip Vital® Joint Health contains 150 capsules. So for dogs up to 15kg, 1 bottle lasts approximately 25 days which is adequate for the loading dose. However if your dog > 30kg, 1 bottle will only last 8 days, so you will need about 3 bottles to complete the loading dose. Therefore, the capsules are more suited to dogs weighing less than 15kg. Heavier dogs would require many capsules, which might be challenging to administer and less cost-effective.
|Loading Dose (3 weeks)
|Maintenance Dose (Ongoing)
|Up to 15kg